Friday, October 1, 2021

October is Family History Month 🍂

 


That's right! It's Family History Month. So if you thought I shared too much about my family history already? Well, you haven't seen anything yet. Hehehe!

So I was trying to figure out the best way to celebrate Family History Month on my blog and I think I've come up with two ways. First, I'm going to share some of my favorite past blog posts in this post for you to read. Some of the posts I am just so proud of and maybe a few that I feel should definitely get a little more love. Second, I'm going to write a new blog post every day! That's right, EVERY DAY! Oh, what am I getting myself into? Now the post will range from family stories to tips, to random thoughts, to whatever I feel like sharing on that day. 

Now, let me turn it to you? What are YOU going to do to celebrate this month? 

Recommended Blog Posts
(that you should really read)
  • White Line Laundry
    This post is special to me because it's where my grandparents met. I've done quite a bit of research on this business and plan on writing a story about this at a later date, but to memorialize my grandparents, I decorated my Laundry Room up. Check it out!
  • Epitaphs - What are they?
    I wrote a special blog about epitaphs to explain what they are and how unique they can be. You can learn a lot about your ancestor by their epitaphs.
  • William Ilg - The gone but not forgotten Uncle
    This is one of the blog posts I am most proud of. So much work went into researching his life just to write this story. A few videos also came out of this research. Before I wrote this story, no one in the family knew who he was.
  • The 1973 Fire - Recreating Your Ancestor's Service Record
    This had a personal interest to me since my dad's service record was one of the millions of records destroyed. If it wasn't for Dad keeping all his records, he wouldn't have been able to get help from the VA or join the VFW. But what do you do if your ancestor didn't keep their records?
  • Top Free Genealogy Website
    Does this need any explaining? This was gathered from much help from the GAA Facebook group.
  • Week 26: Legend of Jesse James and Sheriff Joe Rickards
    This blog post was part of Amy Johnson Crow's 52 Ancestors challenge where you write about specific prompts. I was very proud to prove this story and was even interviewed on Extreme Genes about this.
  • Pauline Ilg: Brave and Courageous
    Next to William Ilg's story, this is a very close 2nd. I had to break it up into five parts because her story was so long. I really wanted to bring her life to... well... life! So make sure you read all five parts. This link will take you to part 1.
  • Citizenship of Foreign Birth - What does the 4 mean?
    I was so proud of finding the answer to this question. It was not a straightforward answer and took some digging. Censuses have many different codes on them that sometimes give us clues to more answers. So what does the 4 mean?
  • Identifying and Combining photos from 1970-1990
    When I got my parents' boxes of photos, they were a mess and I had to figure out how they all went together. Here are some tips on combining photos.
  • Cemetery Log: Keeping Track of all the Ancestors in the Same Cemeteries
    Since I have a large family and most of them are buried in the same cemeteries, I made a Cemetery Log to help me keep them organized.
  • The 1950 Census - How to Find Addresses Beforehand
    With the release of the 1950 census coming up, I wrote a post about how to find the addresses beforehand so you can find your ancestors in their Enumeration Districts.
  • WWII Draft Cards, Registration Certificates & Notice of Classification Cards
    This post came about because not many people knew the differences between all these cards. I had found my Grandpa Les Wheeler's card in my grandma's paperwork and was curious about it. So I researched!
Now, these are just a few blog posts that I feel need a special mention. I hope you enjoy them and/or find them useful. This post was inspired by The Genealogy Blog Party: Celebrating Family History Month by Elizabeth O'Neal. She creates blog parties with specific topics for followers to share their own blog posts that have to do with that topic. So check out all the different posts for Family History Month.

Happy Family History Month!


2 comments:

  1. A great way to help all of us celebrate Family History Month by collecting some of your idea-filled posts on one page. Just enjoyed the White Line Laundry, which I don't remember seeing. Fun and a good reminder to check those auction sites!

    ReplyDelete