Monday, October 11, 2021

Processing & Cataloging Antiques 🍂

     We are finally onto the next phase in my dad's basement: Processing the antiques in the curio cabinet. Over the last few months, I've been diligently working in his office downstairs to clear out all the clutter, files, trash, and important items. Something that has been desperately needing to be done. for years. We started with the filing cabinets, then moved onto his desk (which had not been used in the early 2000s), then onto the CB desk, and finally the clutter sitting around the desks and office area. One step at a time, things have been removed or trashed. Now, as stated, it's time to process the antiques.

Before

After

    Dad loved collecting antiques. Nothing specific, but just things that meant something to him. This cabinet has been filled to the brim since I was a kid; Top, inside, and under. I asked dad before he passed if there was anything of significant value (family history-wise) in the cabinet and he said no, just stuff he collected over the years. Stuff that was important to him. I know there are a couple of items in there that belonged to me that he didn't want to lose. So there's that. But otherwise, I have no clue what I'm about to run into.

Getting Started

What I'm going to do first is photograph the curio cabinet just as it is. Doors closed and open. Then photograph each area before I start: Top, inside shelves, and underneath. Then we can start carefully removing items, starting at the top and working our way down, and processing each one. We will have a table set up nearby to place items on as we go through.

Process

As each item comes out, I will be decided one of a couple things:

  • Keeping for self to be displayed
  • Giving to Family 
  • Donating either to a historical society or other
  • Selling, if I really feel like it's worth my time
  • Trashing
This is going to be the hardest part. Making the best decision I can for each item and us. Some items I may keep and decide to get rid of later, and that's ok. I'm going to try to be as objective as I can. 

Once each item has its designation, I pass it on to the next person. If donating, it will get wrapped and put into a banker box. If keeping, I hand it to the cataloging station. Cause if I'm keeping these, I want to know where they are located so I don't have to go digging around. I can't display everything right now, so they will have to be packed up until a later date. I created a catalog in Excel to help keep things organized. Then once the item has been cataloged, it gets wrapped and put into a box. Once that box is full, that catalog gets copied so one copy goes with the box and one stays with me. 

This is a screenshot of the catalog I created. I got the idea from the book How to Archive Family Keepsakes by Denise May Levenick, The Family Curator. I adapted the catalog to suit myself and my needs. I suggest you pick up this book for your own archive.

I am hoping I will get this all processed today, but if not, there is always tomorrow. I've got some help today so that will make things go faster. While I'm excited about going through this curio cabinet, I'm also a bit emotional. I've been dying to go through this since I was a kid. But I also know the only reason I am able to go through it now is that my dad is not here. And it sucks. I wanted to do this with him here, but he didn't want to. So I have to be ok with that. I was preparing myself for this for a while. Now the time has come.

So here we go...



No comments:

Post a Comment