Thursday, October 28, 2021

Oct. 28, 1965: The last piece of the Arch is fitted into place 🍂

     Have you been to the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, Missouri? How about to the top of the Arch? That's quite an experience! I've been to the arch a few times and have even been to the top. Definitely a must-do while in St. Louis.

Final piece being added
St. Louis, Missouri
Oct. 28, 1965

    Today is the anniversary of the last piece being fitted into place to complete the "sweeping curve of stainless steel rising 630 feet above the ground". It took 142 pieces of welded equilateral triangles rising from two separate legs to complete the arch. Engineers had to be precise with their measurements so as to not end up with a very costly (and embarrassing) mistake when then two legs came together. And it was perfect... only being about three-eights of an inch off. Who said you wouldn't need Math when you grow up? 

Check out pictures of the construction here

    The first time I went to the Arch, I was about 5 or 6 years old. It was for a field trip in Kindergarten. We never went up in the arch, but we visited the museum underneath. The most I remember about that day is walking right next to one of the legs of the arch and running my fingers against it to feel the cool steel. 

Going to the Arch
Eureka, Missouri
abt 1988

    I didn't make up to the top of the arch for the first time until I was 18. Mom and I took a day and went downtown. I didn't get any pictures, but it was a good time. Now, I am afraid of heights. Seriously afraid of heights. I could just feel my heart racing in my chest as I looked out the windows. It was a beautiful sight for sure. And I have gone up a couple times since, but yeah, it's a little unnerving. 

    If that doesn't make you shake, the ride up just might. You fit yourselves into what looks like an Egg that Mork from Mork and Mindy would have arrived in, and ride to the top. Did I also mention I am claustrophobic? Eek! It's a tight fit, only 5 people per "egg". And as you are going up, the "egg" shifts back and forth as it goes up the leg of the arch. You can see out the small window as you ride up. Not outside, but the stairs that are right outside the "egg". Can you imagine having to use the stairs?? Oh heck no!

    Now when you get to the stop, your senses will need some time to adjust. On windy days, you WILL feel the arch swaying. It definitely threw off my equilibrium. I had to sit down. But again, if you are able to make the trip, I absolutely recommend it for the experience. There have never been any accidents or problems, so you are perfectly safe. 

    I had the opportunity to take my daughter to the top when we were visiting St. Louis in 2010 (before we moved back). She really enjoyed it! We went to the top and took lots of photos. We also visited the museum down below.




Gateway Arch
St. Louis, Missouri
Aug 2010

    The last time we visited the arch grounds was in 2014 when my best friend who is like a sister to me visited St. Louis for our other friend's birthday. It had been years since she been back and we wanted to make the best of it. Sarah is an amazing photographer and took some beautiful shots. She has her own blog where she showcases her photos. 

Visit Just Shoot Pics' Blog

    During this visit, we actually got shots of the inside of the "egg" elevator along with photos inside of the arch. 



Gateway Arch
St. Louis, Missouri
2014

Have you ever been to the top of the arch? Share your stories in the comments. Were you watching the day that they put the last piece in place? Tell me what you remember.


No comments:

Post a Comment