Thursday, December 2, 2021

Year of Firsts: Thanksgiving & Losing an Uncle

     This year has been anything but normal. Between Covid, deaths, and other circumstances, nothing has been what we thought it would be. Thanksgiving was no different. 
    We were so excited for Thanksgiving to come. We wanted to get together and have some good food and try to make some good memories. This, of course, was the first Thanksgiving since Dad had passed, but last year wasn't normal either. Dad was in the hospital for Thanksgiving last year, so we didn't get to spend it with him. 

Dad in the hospital
Day after Thanksgiving 2020
Reading his favorite section of the paper
"Let's Eat!"

Thanksgiving
Our house
2020

    Mom went to the hospital for Thanksgiving and I went the day after to bring him some leftovers. So this year, we wanted to have a good gathering around our table. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.
    A week before Thanksgiving, I started feeling really crappy. Sneezing, coughing, sore throat, aches & pains, etc. I was supposed to go to Mom's to sign some papers for Dad's estate but ended up going to get tested just in case. And would you believe, I tested positive for Covid. I'd made it this long without catching the virus, but as Mark said, it was only a matter of time since the virus wasn't going away.
    Soon after, Sancia started with symptoms. You know what this means. Yep, Thanksgiving was canceled. I would have to be quarantined for 10-14 years which would put us past Thanksgiving. So once again, Thanksgiving would not be normal. Mom was so great though. She cooked a nice big meal for us and dropped it off. We had ordered 2-20lb turkeys to cook this year. One for dinner and one for my homemade turkey broth so I can make my soups for winter. Yeah, that is also delayed.
    Since Thanksgiving didn't resemble anything normal, it wasn't as hard to get through missing Dad. Obviously, we miss him. But being sick kind of distracted us. And now, Mark has also tested positive and is off work for at least a week. He will get re-tested Monday. I am still suffering from burning in my chest, but am finally starting to feel somewhat better. It's more than likely, I have what they call "Long Haul Covid" which means the symptoms will outlast the virus itself for a long time. 

    I wish I could say this was the only upsetting thing to occur at this moment. But like I said at the beginning, nothing has been normal. My Uncle Kevin has been battling Cancer again this year and we got work right after Thanksgiving they were putting him on hospice. On November 30, 2021, we lost Uncle Kevin. I'm still reeling from this. I can't even begin to process this. It hasn't even been a year since we lost Dad and now Uncle Kevin.

Read Uncle Kevin's Obituary Here

    Dad never would have been able to handle this. They were really close. Uncle Kevin would take Dad to his cancer treatments and doctor appointments. Everywhere they went, they would make people smile and laugh. Especially the nurses and cancer patients in the room. I know after Dad passed, he felt so lost. We all still do. 

Uncle Kevin & Dad
Christmas 2018

    This Thanksgiving didn't turn out like we thought it was going to, but what are you going to do? I'm still recovering along with Mark and Sancia. I don't have any energy to decorate for Christmas. I'm trying to get my tree up, but it is taking a lot out of me. At this rate, I won't be putting up decorations outside. I almost don't want Christmas to come. Not only will it be the first Christmas without Dad and now Uncle Kevin, but it's also Dad's birthday. How am I going to do this?


Last Thanksgiving we had with Dad
Our house - 2019





No comments:

Post a Comment