Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Dad's Last Christmas Card to Mom๐ŸŽ„

     There is no denying it. This is going to be the hardest Christmas of our lives thus far. Not only is it Dad's birthday, but it will be the first one without him. We've all been doing our best to get through despite the hardships we've been going through. I do have a few special items put around the house, although I wasn't able to decorate like I wanted to as I'm still recovering from the effects of Covid. I wanted to do so much this year to make it a joyful time since it is going to be hard, but I have to accept it is what it is and make the best of it. I do have some special gifts ready to give at least. One is particularly special. It's the last Christmas Card Dad bought for Mom.
    While I was working in the basement, cleaning off Dad's old desk, I came across a bag with a card and a receipt. It was a Christmas card. One that hadn't been used yet. I knew Dad had gotten it to give to Mom, but how long had this been sitting here. I inspected the receipt and it was dated 2019. Now, you may be saying that was two years ago. Yes, but last year Dad was so weak, he couldn't get out to buy mom a card for Christmas. So that makes this card the last one he ever PURCHASED for Mom for Christmas. (Listed on the receipt along with the card was some Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Mom's favorite) So I knew what I had to do.

    I've held onto this card for months without breathing a word of it to Mom. I had a plan. I was going to give this card to Mom for Christmas from Dad. But I had some work to do. I had to find a card Dad had already given Mom and copy his signature, so I could print it on this card. Dad had not gotten around to signing the card. He had left it at home in 2019 when they came over here. So I was going to help him out and do what he intended to do.
    I found an old card from a few years ago that he signed and scanned in that signature. After that, I carefully printed the signature on the new card. I will say, I'm pretty impressed with the results. It looks like Dad signed the card. Then I took the old envelope from the other card and placed the new card in it. I did write a note explaining what this card was and how I came across it and put it in the envelope for Mom.



There was always a joke between them about being
the first spouse. They both were only married once
to each other.

    I know this is going to be such a hard year. I do hope this card makes Mom feel good although I know it may just make her miss him more. We are going to the cemetery tomorrow to place flowers at Dad's grave since we won't be able to make it out there on Christmas Day. Mom picked up a birthday card for Dad that she is going to leave there.
    I can't believe it's almost been a year already. The pain and emptiness will always be there, especially around Christmas, but I know Dad will always be with us. We will see if I have enough in me to write a blog post about my first Christmas without my dad. It's definitely not going to be easy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment