Saturday, February 20, 2021

Cemetery Log: Keeping track of all the ancestors in the same cemetery

      I've had in mind to work on this project for about a year now, but haven't had the ability to carry it out.  Between taking care of dad and other obligations, just haven't had the time. Well, this spring I will start working on it and I hope to release it this summer.
     What is it you ask? Well, the final project will be a new YouTube series all about sharing the burial locations of my ancestors'. I had a distant cousin of mine contact me asking for the location of our ancestor, Joseph Henry Rickards. I did my best to guide him over the phone, but how much better would it have been to just share the video that takes you directly to the cemetery and the ancestor's gravesite? Sounds like a great idea to me!
     The question then came up how I was going to put this together. Well, I have an idea based on a fellow YouTuber's channel called Hollywood Graveyard. I love how he goes about sharing the graves of movie stars and prominent people. His style is just what I'm looking for. If you haven't checked out his YouTube channel yet, I urge you to do so. 
     But before I start filming, I have some leg work to do. I am going to be organizing my ancestors by cemetery into one spreadsheet for each cemetery. This is just an example of what I'm working on right now.

Click to Enlarge

     This is just one cemetery & not even all the ancestors that are buried there. I will be researching the location of each ancestor, the owner of each plot/section, the different directions how to get to the cemetery, the basic history about each cemetery such as when it was opened along with any famous people buried there and will also include a cemetery map if given. Since I have so many ancestors buried in the same cemeteries, I decided to create this log. 
     I encourage all of you to do something like this for your own records. That way when you go to the cemetery to visit your ancestors, you catch all who is buried there. It will also be handy to share with others who would like to know the location and visit themselves. 
     I know there are quite a few spreadsheet options out there for people to use. I created this one specifically for my own use to include the data I needed. You can do a search online for other cemetery logs or create your own in Excel or Open Office. If you would like to download a blank copy of this log, send me an email at jrickards82@yahoo.com (or contact me through the form on the right-hand side of my blog) and I will forward you the spreadsheet. You can edit any of it that you wish. 
     This log will help me when it comes to filming this spring. As you can see, I have many ancestors buried in the same cemeteries. That's one reason I created this log. To help me keep track of all my ancestors in the same cemeteries. When I film, I will explain how to get to each ancestor's location in the cemetery and film it. I will also show the location on a map & try to make the map available to those who need a copy. This is still just a work in progress, but hoping to get this started soon. So be on the lookout!


     




No comments:

Post a Comment