Wednesday, January 20, 2021

No Cuss Words at Jefferson Barracks

      Just so you know, for future reference, Jefferson Barracks in St. Louis, Missouri will not allow Cuss Words on their headstones. What? I know right? Shocking!! How dare they right? Haha! Honestly, I stumbled across this by accident while choosing an inscription for my father's headstone. He passed away on the 3rd of January and I've been in charge of planning everything. So when I picked out the inscription to go on his headstone, I gave no thought to any restrictions. I was corrected very quickly.
     My dad was a big jokester. He loved to make people laugh. When he gave speeches for his Union, he always included a joke. Sometimes the jokes were a little more adult-oriented (meaning language or subject matter), but it was always told with the hopes of getting a laugh; not to offend. So when choosing an inscription to put on his headstone, we were looking to add something funny, so carry on his sense of humor.
     Now, if you read the Eulogy I wrote for my father, you learned that he also loved Movie Quotes. We spent a lot of time going back and forth with movie quotes, especially ones that made him laugh. One such movie that he introduced me to recently was "The More the Merrier" (1943) starring Jean Arthur, Joel McCrea, and Charles Coburn. Dad loved that movie and would watch it over and over again. One of the quotes that was used often in the movie was a quote by General Farragut, "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!" It always made dad laugh and at random times he would say that in conversation. Dad was also bad about remembering the names of movies, so he usually called them by a funny quote from the movie itself. So honestly, this just felt like the best option to put on his headstone. (You see where this is going now).
     Yeah, I didn't even think about it being an issue that it had the word "Damn" in it, especially since it's a quote from a Civil War General that is widely known. But yeah, as soon as I said that word I was shut down immediately. After some thinking, I asked if they would allow the word "Darn" in its place and was told no to that as well. There goes that plan.
     Honestly, this isn't to come down on Jefferson Barracks or their policies. The whole thing, while somewhat frustrating, just made me laugh. And we all need a laugh right now. That's what dad would want. Although, my husband spoke up and said, "Sure they don't allow cuss words. Well, they better make sure they spell dad's name correct!" My dad's last name is Fuchs. Use your imagination. I honestly cracked up at the possibility. I dealt with that all my life, as that is my maiden name. But wouldn't that be a hoot? Can't use the word Damn, but they misspell dad's name to be a cuss word. Yeah, we gotta laugh. 
     So yeah, a word to the wise, check the requirements for the National Cemeteries before deciding on an inscription to use on the headstone. Save yourself some trouble. I'm glad I had a backup ready. So for Dad's headstone, it will read:

Beloved Husband,
Dad, Papa, Uncle
and Brother.
We Miss You! 

      It fits perfectly. I hope you are laughing from Heaven dad. Love you and miss you!

Temporary Marker for Dad
1/13/2021



No comments:

Post a Comment