Friday, February 4, 2022

Friday Finds of the Week

     Thinking of starting a new segment called Friday Finds of the Week where I share with you what I found during the week. This could be anything from newspaper clippings, to documents, photos, interesting facts, etc. Sometimes I find just random little things that aren't interesting enough to write a whole blog post about, but it's still important to my research. So I think combining them into one blog post a week will be much better. So let's get started!

  1. Great Grandma Louis Strawhun Death Certificate
  2. Click to Enlarge
    This is the biggest find of the week. The Missouri State Archives had digitized the 1971 Death Certificate Collection and had put them out for Volunteers to digitize. They just finished them in record time this week, so I was able to look for my Great Grandma Louise Strawhun's Death Certificate. I wasn't looking for anything specific with this certificate, but I was just happy to have it in my files now. I got my Great Grandpa Robert Strawhun's Death Certificate last year. Every year, the Missouri State Archives releases another Year Collection, so next year I will be looking for my Great-Grandpa Joseph Ilg's Death Certificate. Watch my YouTube Short Here.

  3. Westminster College Yearbook for Scott Rickards
  4. This was the second most exciting find of the week. I wrote a blog post about Grand Uncle Scott Rickards, who has been an enigma ever since I learned about him. Between his Graduation and his Death there are many questions that have gone unanswered. In the process of writing that blog post, my husband pointed out something that I had missed. In his obituary, it stated he attended Westminster College in Fulton, Missouri. I couldn't believe I missed that detail. So I contacted the Alumni at Westminster College asking for some assistance. To my surprise, they found his record and the yearbook he appeared in.
    He attended this college for only one year. Another curious fact. Why only one year? There is no answer unfortunately at this time. But I am grateful for this little find. Along with this page of the yearbook, there were others he appeared in. He apparently was a member of the Jabberwokies (a Dramatic Society), the Highlander Fraternity, and the Philologic Society. Pictures were included.

    Click buttons to view pictures

  5. Newspaper Articles
  6. For Christmas, my mom got me a subscription to Newspapers.com. So I've been utilizing it as much as possible. Searching for obits, marriage announcements, random articles, historical information, and much more. These are some of the articles I recently came across. They don't contain any new information, but I'm glad to have these articles in my collection now.
Obituary for Mary B. Hilke nee Schulling
2 Nov 1940
St. Louis Star and Times
St. Louis, Missouri

Casualty List - William Ilg
20 Dec 1918
St. Louis Star and Times
St. Louis, Missouri
    I've found quite a few articles announcing the death of William Ilg. They all pretty much state the same thing. "KIA - William Ilg, 223 East Courtois Street"
Burial Permit - Pauline Baumgartner nee Kimmerle
26 Mar 1924
St. Louis Star and Times
St. Louis, Missouri
Burial Permit - Lucy Pearl Wheeler
8 Feb 1867
St. Louis Post Dispatch
St. Louis, Missouri

That's all I have to share this week. I also found some random clippings for extending family and for some friends for their family. One thing I'm working on is preparing for the release of the 1950 census. Reading blogs, watching videos, and going over my notes. I don't have anything else specifically that I am working on, but I always tend to find something. So check back next week for another update!


2 comments:

  1. Ok I love this idea of you posting your Friday Findings! I enjoyed reading through your small but significant finds and love how you showed just how important a second set of eyes are on something you have a narrow focus on. Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I do think I will make this a regular thing. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete