Wednesday, October 9, 2019

William Ilg - Eligible for a medal: UPDATE

     Almost a year ago, in November, while researching my 2nd great Uncle William Ilg, I learned that he qualified for a Purple Heart Medal, posthumously for his sacrifice in World War I. From my understanding, he was never awarded this citation. Sadly, his military service file was destroyed in the 1973 fire at the National Personnel Records Center. I contacted the National Archives with my question about his eligibility and this was what I received back:
During WW1 the Purple Heart was not awarded for wounds inflicted by the enemy; it was awarded for military merit. During WW2 it was designated for wounded veterans; the following is an excerpt from our instructions:

"This award, the modern form of the original Purple Heart established by General George Washington in 1782, is conferred on any person wounded in action while serving with the Armed Forces of the United States. It is awarded for wounds or death as result of an act of any opposing Armed Force, as a result of an international terrorist attack or as a result of military operations while serving as part of a peacekeeping force, while serving with the Armed Forces of the United States. It is also awarded posthumously to the next of kin of personnel killed or having died of wounds received in action after April 5, 1917.

The original Purple Heart Medal was awarded for "Military Merit", and before World War II was only awarded to three men. During the early period of World War II (7 Dec 41 to 22 Sep 43), the Purple Heart was awarded both for wounds received in action against the enemy and for meritorious performance of duty. Executive Order 9277, dated 12/3/42 authorized the award only for wounds received."

For WW1 the Purple Heart was also awarded for exposure to Mustard Gas. So a WW1 veteran couldn't request the Purple Heart medal until after 12/3/42. - St. Louis National Archives
     So as you can see, he wouldn't have become eligible until almost 25 years after his death. By 1942, his mother had passed and the only family still living would have been his brothers: Joseph (my great-grandfather) and John. Grandpa Joe was great about making sure William had a headstone issued by the government (placed around 1931), but I doubt he went to the trouble of trying to get William's file amended to include a Purple Heart. He would have had to have contacted the Army Records office to inquire about it if he would have known. As I have learned during this process, it hasn't been an easy one.
 
   After gathering all the information I could about William, I filled out the application (given to me by the St. Louis Archives) to have his file amended to include the Purple Heart citation. I sent off the application in February of this year and had not received confirmation that they had received it. I've emailed them twice over the past few months, both confirming that they had not received it. This last email though, the customer service rep told me to email in my application along with my documentation so they could process it immediately. Oh, I am so happy to hear this! So I just emailed off the application and documentation to the Army Review Board. They said it would take a couple of days to process (to put in their system), but then the board still needs to review it. That could take a couple of weeks or more. Oh, I am going to be on pins and needles.
     What am I hoping to get out of this? Well, first the obvious, I am hoping they will amend William's Military Personnel File to include this citation. His sacrifice deserves to be recognized and remembered. After that, I don't know what to expect. From what I have learned, only the next of kin can receive replacement medals of fallen soldiers. William had no next of kin. He was never married nor did he ever have any kids. So all he has left is nieces and nephews. Half of me knows I will probably not receive the Purple Heart Medal in the mail for William, and I am ok with that. That wasn't the purpose of this journey. The purpose of this originally started with learning more about him and making sure he was never forgotten.
     I hope to update you soon with the outcome of this quest. It would be amazing if it happened around the date of his death so we could memorialize him with this award. Who knows? We will have to wait and see. Check be often for the conclusion to this magnificent story.

Here are some videos I put together about William Ilg



No comments:

Post a Comment