Wednesday, October 23, 2019

What's Your Song?

     A story was posted in the Genealogy Forward The Storykeepers Facebook group from my friend Darry about the song that eventually became his wife's song. The story was beautiful and moved many to tears. Then he posed this to us: "What was your song for your significant other? Why? Do you still know all the words? Tell us the story." So here is a story about a few songs that are very special to both my husband and me.
     Back in 2002, Mark and I were working together at One Way bookshop off Manchester Road in West County. We had met in November of 2001 and quickly became friends. As time went on, our friendship grew into more. We were working together almost every shift. It was obvious to everyone around us that we should be together, but we were very gun shy. We didn't want to ruin the friendship we had developed and we had both been hurt in the past by others. But there was no mistaking the feelings we had for each other.
     The first song that began to mean something to us was Carolyn Dawn Johnson's song, "I Don't Want You To Go." After work, we would sit in one of our cars with the radio playing and just talk. We would talk about anything and everything. I never met someone I could just talk with for hours on end and not be self-conscious. Before we knew it, it would be very late and we would have to go. We didn't want to, but we knew we had to. But it seemed like every time, this song would come on the radio. And we both felt the same way. We didn't want the other person to go. I still smile when I hear that song, thinking back to those nights.


     Another song that is really special to us is "I Don't Wanna Go" by Avalon. We were both romantics at heart and would always try to outdo each other with things. This was before we were actually dating. One night after hanging out, we drove back to the bookshop to pick up my car. It was pouring rain, which was frustrating because I had planned something wonderful to do after we would get back to my car. So I improvised.
     I had keys to the bookshop, so I let us in and told him I had a surprise for him. I took the CD that had this song on it and put it in the store sound system. Before it played, I explained I put a lot of thought into this song. I told him I wanted to have a slow dance with him outside by our cars, but since it was raining we would have to have the slow dance inside if he was willing. He said he was. I told him this song just speaks so much to me about how I feel about him. So we slow danced to this song in the middle of the bookstore around 1am. Linda, the store manager, would have probably had a fit if she knew. It was a very special moment. From this moment on he thinks of me when he hears this song. We finally officially started dating soon after this.


     One last song I have to mention is one he picked out for me. He knew I had been hurt by a few guys in the past and was having a hard time trusting anyone. I did not want to get into another relationship right away. Well, one night while sitting in his car, he played this song for me. He wanted me to know that he was patient, and he knew I wanted to be sure before I made any decisions. He wanted to reassure me that he could be trusted. At the time I told him I still didn't know him all that well and I couldn't say if he was or was not "The One". Turns out, he was. So now when I hear this song, I just want to cry. The song is "The One" by Gary Allan.

     Now, these are not the only songs that have meant something to us over our lifetime, but they are the top three. I will include a playlist of songs I call, "Our Songs". It starts with a collection of songs he prested to me after we were married which is the soundtrack to the "Book of Wife"; a collection of letters he wrote to his future bride. The playlist has grown over the years. Music plays a big part in sharing how we feel about each other.


     Here we are, 17 years later, married with one child. The bookstore has been closed for a long time, but the building that once housed it still stands. Every once in a while we will drive by there and stop. Just to reminisce. Our lives together began at that bookstore and it will always hold a special place in our hearts.
     You are probably asking why I am sharing this on my genealogy blog. Well, our stories are just as important as our ancestor's stories. One day this will be all that survives of our lives, just like with our ancestors. How many times do we wish they would have written stories, telling us about their lives? So we must take charge of documenting our own stories and history so it can be passed down. Take some time and write down some important details from your life.

May 2002                         July 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment