Monday, July 29, 2019

Week 31: Brother

     Oh Brother! Siblings can be such a pain, can't they? Always fighting, taking your stuff, making noise, bugging the bejeezus out of you. Sometimes you look at those who are only children and think, "Oh they are so lucky!" Well, being an only child myself, I can tell you, it's not all it's cracked up to be. While siblings are not always perfect, they are your family.
     I know my dad can attest to the fact that growing up with 8 siblings wasn't the easiest. Especially since he was the oldest and they didn't have a lot of money. They may have done without a lot of material items, but the stories they have from their childhood are amazing. To this day, all my dad's siblings are still around and still get together quite often. Especially all the brothers.
     Dad has four younger brothers: Mike, Kevin, Marty, and Chris. Quite often, they will meet up for breakfast (or other meals) and spend hours just talking about "nothing" as dad calls it. They will just go from one subject to another, chasing rabbits down holes, never running out of things to say. I've had the privilege of sitting around with them listening to some of the stories and let me tell you, it is a hoot. My husband wants to start setting a tape recorder around them just to capture all that is discussed.
     Not only do they get together for meals, but they are also always helping each other out and going places together. My Uncle Kevin drives my dad to his doctor appointments all the time. Even in the cancer treatment room, they are lifting the spirits of those around them with their stories and jokes. All the boys will take trips with my dad down to the lake house in Arkansas to do work and clean it up. My dad says they will start talking once they get into the truck, and don't stop until they get home. It amazes him that they have so much to talk about. Something new they have started doing is making trips out to Uncle Mike's house to help him pick vegetables from his garden. They've got a whole system worked out so my dad can help and not get too overtired. Just over the past few years, they have been getting together more and more. I am so happy my dad gets to have that time with his brothers. He loves them so much and cherishes the time he gets to have alone with them.
     I know life wasn't always easy for them growing up, especially with an alcoholic father, but they sure have a strong bond for life. They have looked past any issues there may have been, and continue to grow closer every day. I know one day this will all change forever, so I treasure all the stories, get-togethers, and memories that I can.
     Many people don't have a close relationship with their brothers that my dad has. It's true just on my mom's side of the family. Sadly, maybe people will go through their lives and never speak to their siblings again. It is tragic for sure, but sometimes there is nothing that can be done. So if you have a decent relationship with your brothers (or sisters), treasure it. I know my Uncles do.

Dad (center) with his siblings
Christmas 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment