Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Week 28: Reunion

     It's summer time! So you know what that means. Reunions are in full swing. Family, Schools, Organizations. It's a time to get together and reminisce, tell stories, meet new people, and make new memories. I've been to a few reunions for my Dad's side of the family when I was younger. I could never understand how we could be related to so many people that I didn't know. I wish I would have been more interested at the time, but again, I was a kid.
     As an adult, I haven't attended any family reunions. Maybe one day I will put one together. With the boom in DNA discoveries and interest in family history research, family reunions seems to be on the rise. The have definitely evolved over the years with all the different activities and events that people do now.
    While doing my family research, I've been looking through newspapers for articles mentioning my family. In the process of combing through articles, I've found some talking about Reunions and Family get togethers for the Swope Family. The town they came from, Plattsburg, Missouri, was a very small farming town. Everything about everyone was published in the paper. There was no privacy it seemed. While it's good for me, it must have been frustrating for them.
     Since I don't have anything from reunions I have been to, I will share some articles about the Swope family and their family reunions in the Plattsburg Leader.

1939

1957

1944

1937

The Hoover family is related to the Swope family
1932

1939

No comments:

Post a Comment