Monday, May 27, 2019

Week 21: Military

     When I originally started writing a post for this week's prompt, I had a different idea in mind, but after this weekend, that has changed. I invited my Aunt Patty over this weekend so we could look through my Papa's military file that she just received. She is the family historian/genealogist for the Fuchs side of my family. Well, when she came over, she had a few surprise items she brought with her.
     We went out to help her unload her car just in case the paperwork she brought was heavy. That's when I noticed a long plastic container in her trunk. She handed it to me & I was surprised how light it was. That's when she told me she remembered I had wanted to see Papa's old uniform from when he was in the military, so she brought it with her. I almost screamed! If I could have ran inside to open it up to look at it, I would have. But lunch was first. I was trying to not be too anxious through our meal. So while we are eating, let me tell you a little bit about my Papa.

     George Henry Fuchs was born June 2, 1912 in Maplewood, Missouri, fourth child of Michael and Nellie Fuchs. He married my grandma, Anna Louise Strawhun, December 26, 1941 in Kirkwood, Missouri. What a time to get married as World War II was raging on. Since Pearl Harbor was bombed on December 7, 1941, I'm sure the decision came about because my Papa knew he would be called to active duty soon. And it came to pass on November 25, 1942, he was officially inducted in the Military in St. Louis, Missouri as a CM1c (Carpenters Mate First Class)[1] [2] And if that wasn't bad enough, my grandma was 8 months pregnant at the time. I am sure they were hoping he could hold off long enough to be able to be there when their first child was born, but sadly that would not be the case. My Papa was officially called to active duty just two days before Christmas, on December 23, 1942 and then two days later on Christmas day, my dad finally made his appearance. Papa just missed being there for the birth. Here is the telegram my Grandma sent to my Papa letting him know my dad had just been born.


     As you can see on the Telegram, Papa was in Davisville, Rhode Island at the time of my dad's birth. He was stationed at Camp Endicott. He did so well building the Quonset Huts, they kept him behind to help with training. Closer to the end of the year he was sent over to the Philippine Islands and served with the 75th Naval Construction Batallion. He participated in a few events while over there including the Solomon Islands Campaign, the Landings at Cape Torokina and the landing operations in Leyte. He also served in the areas of New Caledonia, Guadalcanal, Bougainville, Russell Islands, and New Guinea along with the Philippine Islands. During this time he was promoted to CCM. [1]
     He returned to the states in August of 1945 and was transferred to the nearest West Coast Receiving Station for Rehabilitation which was San Diego, California. Rehabilitation was supposed to take 30 days. Then it looks like he may have been granted a leave to come back to St. Louis to see family before shipping out to Great Lakes, Illinois to finish his commission. Can you blame him? He hadn't seen my Grandma is about three years and never met his son (my dad). After his leave, he shipped out to Great Lakes, Illinois until he was discharged on October 23, 1945. He was finally free and could be with his family. [1]

Now that you know a little more about my Papa's service, let's get back to my visit with Aunt Patty.

     So after lunch was over, Aunt Patty went right for the box to show me the uniform. I was beyond ecstatic to see it. And it was in excellent condition! No rips, tears, holes, mold, mildew. Almost museum quality. It was amazing holding the fabric in my fingers. I had no idea the uniform was made out of wool. Can you imagine how hot that must have been? Insane! I don't do well in the heat. Aunt Patty couldn't imagine having to deal with all the buttons when you would have to use the bathroom. I loved the details on the buttons. They had anchors on them! I looked over the uniform so thoroughly; not wanting to miss one detail. His name was still written on the inside of his pants. His hat size was written on the inside of his hat. And believe me, I checked every pocket I came across in case there was anything hiding in them. I thanked Aunt Patty over and over for bringing it over for me to look at. Even my daughter's friend was impressed.




     After the uniform was put away, she surprised me further by pulling out his medals he received while in service. They were replicas of course, but still.







     Once all those items were put away, we spent the next few hours going through paperwork. To me, this was the best way to spend a Memorial Day. Talking about and remembering one of the soliders in our family that fought for our freedom. That's what Memorial Day is all about.

Happy Memorial Day Papa
I miss you every day.
I wish I could sit down & talk with you about your service. 
Thank you for your sacrifices!

George Henry Fuchs, CCM
75th NCB 

Sources:
[1]
Military File from NARA; copied from Aunt Patty's files

[2]
Info regarding rank: http://uniform-reference.net/insignia/usn/usn_ww2_enl_artificer.html

No comments:

Post a Comment