Sunday, May 30, 2021

Year of Firsts - Memorial Day

     Memorial Day: The official kick-off of summer. Everyone is gearing up for BBQs, swimming, gatherings... But it's more than just a three-day weekend. Today is one of the somber days in history. I shared a video about this day last year on YouTube. You can check it out here.

    This holiday began on May 5, 1866, in Virginia but it was called Decoration Day. It was a day put aside for family and friends to visit cemeteries and decorate the graves of the soldiers who had fallen during the Civil War. Since then, it has grown considerably. This day is now to recognize the soldiers who have given the Ultimate Sacrifice in ALL the wars. For without them, we would not have the freedom to celebrate with BBQ, swimming, and gatherings. 
    Not only is this day for those who have given the Ultimate Sacrifice, those who have passed on who served in the Military also receive recognition. At the National Cemeteries around the United States flags are placed at the graves of ALL the soldiers buried at the cemetery. 

"At Arlington National Ceremony, the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment places American Flags at the gravesites of fallen service members just before Memorial Day. It’s a tradition known as 'Flags In,' and it’s taken place every year since the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment was designated as the official 'ceremonial unit' in 1948." Source: JoinCake.com

Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery
May 28, 2021

"A Memorial Day weekend tradition canceled by the pandemic last year will return to Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery. Usually, members of the Boy Scouts of America place American Flags on the graves at Jefferson Barracks for Memorial Day. That effort starts Wednesday afternoon and continues through Saturday. Scout leaders said this is one of the longest-running Memorial Day events within the Boy Scouts of America." Source: Fox2Now

    Many celebrations will also take place around the United States. In Eureka, Missouri, the local VFW Post 5468 will hold their Memorial Day Ceremony on Memorial Day at the local Community Center. They will gather to read off the names of all the soldiers who were members of the VFW or citizens of Eureka who have passed away. This year, my dad's name will be read for the first time.

    Ever since I was a child, I looked forward to Memorial Day weekend because that meant pools were going to be opened and we would start taking trips down to the lake regularly to go swimming. But now, this is the hardest time for me. Dad was always very much involved in getting things set up for the Memorial Day Ceremony. One year, Mark even helped dad get all the flags put out in town on the lights. I am sad to say, I never attended the Memorial Day Ceremony in Eureka while dad organized it. But this year, I will definitely be attending, and while I'm able to, every year after that to honor dad. I will also be recording this ceremony and the video will be placed below once it is uploaded.

Memorial Day Remembrance Ceremony
Eureka, Missouri
May 31, 2021

    We visited Dad's grave early for the holiday season to avoid the rush and crowds. With Covid still in our lives, we are still trying to be careful. The flags that were already placed around the cemetery were just beautiful. We even saw some special visitors that were coming out to say hello.




    This was the hardest visit yet for me. For the first time since Dad has been gone, I just wanted to hug him so bad. I miss him terribly. I keep waiting for him to call me with a question or just to talk. It's still so surreal. Like he is just out of town temporarily and he will be back soon. I wish that were the case. And the thought of him not coming back is just too much to bear. Even right now as I am typing this out, I can't stop the tears from flowing. 
    But I know where he is. And I know he is at peace. I can't be selfish, although I want to be. I want him back here with us. I want to talk to him more. I want to show him things. But he is in God's hands and I can't imagine a better place to be. 
    Today we will have parents over for a BBQ and spend time together as a family all the while feeling like someone is missing. But we will celebrate the good times. Make new memories. And eat dad's favorite summer food, Mom's Homemade Potato Salad. It will be hard, but we will celebrate for him. And remember him in the process. 


    So as you celebrate today, don't forget that there are families who don't get to celebrate with their loved ones. Families who soldier never came home. Children who will grow up without knowing one of their parents. Parents who will never hug their child again. And siblings who will miss sharing a drink with their brother or sister. Remember the day for what it is. And thank that family for their Soldier's Sacrifice.

Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery
May 28, 2021

Happy Memorial Day



No comments:

Post a Comment