Saturday, May 22, 2021

Selling Buddy Poppies - Article Written by Dad

Selling Buddy Poppies
By: Dennis Fuchs

I would like to share my experience with selling poppies and the stories that I have heard. These conversations and stories are not intended to hurt, embarrass or discredit anyone. I would like to thank those that shared their feeling and thoughts with me.

It started Saturday morning when the first lady came up to me and thanked me for selling poppies, and said she always bought poppies whenever she saw someone selling them, because her deceased husband was a Veteran and kind of reminded her of him when he sold them.

Another conversation I had was with a lady and a small child, as they entered this store I don’t know if they were mother and daughter or grandmother or granddaughter, as the lady gave me her donation, I gave her a Buddy Poppy, and I gave the little girl a Poppy also, and thanked her for their donation, the lady touched my hand and looked at me and thanked me for making a big difference in the little girl's day I don’t know what had happened that day before they arrived, but just giving her a Poppy must have made a difference, and as they left the store she said it again.

Many people stop and ask about the Poppies, It makes a Veteran feel good that a person takes time to question about your sales, and that they remember their dad or husband selling Poppies.

One lady came by and said thank you and went in the store, and as she was leaving she handed another Veteran a thank you card and gave him a thank you hug for his Military service and for helping our Veterans.

Some shoppers come by and say, “you got me at this or that store” I would prefer they say that they donated already or show the Poppy by “ Wear it Proudly” not that I got you! Or you got me! The Poppy means so much to Veterans for that.

Some families come by and say thank you, would you mind change? Not at all thank you and you extend your donation can for their donation. Some People want to give their donation in your hand, or just touch you. I just smile and say thank you, sometimes a look or touch means so much.

Some Veterans come by and ask where you served your military service and talk about their experiences, I think that helps some get over some of their troubled times if it did then my being there was helpful. I know, in later years it helped me when I returned from Vietnam

As the day went along I heard people say they put their Poppies on their sun visor it helps to remember Veterans, Great idea, I know people that did that for years. On a lighter side of Poppies; One man purchased a new Poppy and said his needed to be changed he thought it had died. Someone said he should have watered it, but Poppies never die they are alive as our memories and thoughts of our loved ones.

Speaking of water, one young lady came up to me and handed me a donation of five dollars for one Poppy, as I stated before some people like to place their donation in your hand, as she did she looked me in the eyes and said her father was Veteran as she turned away I could see her eyes were watering, I thanked her for her donation. To my surprise, she returned just a few seconds later and handed me another five-dollar bill and said her Father was a Vietnam Veteran and that he had died last year and she wanted another Poppy as she was going to put it on his grave. This time there were two sets of eyes watering.

There were other stories and conversations as the two days of Poppies sales wound down we were happy as we had sold all our Poppies when we were leaving a lady wanted a Poppy, I had looked everywhere, no more, but someone noticed one of our Veterans, had a Poppy in his shirt, one last sale and a happy person.

That should have been the last, but I did not notice one last Poppy in the bottom of the box, where did it come from? I then remembered the young lady wanting to put Poppy on her father's grave, Yes, I took that last Poppy and went to the cemetery where my dad was buried and thanked him.


*Article originally published in the Current Newspaper June 2002




No comments:

Post a Comment