Friday, April 17, 2020

Photo Friday

     Like everyone, I'm trying to do what I can to keep myself busy. On Monday, April 4, 2020, the governor of Missouri issued a Stay-At-Home order to help reduce the spread of the Coronavirus. There are many other states in the US that have also issued Stay-At-Home orders. We are all trying to do our part to help reduce the spread of this Covid_19. So this is the perfect time to just dive into your research.
     New newspapers are being added all the time to Newspapers.com, so I check there often for new articles. This time I went searching for my Strawhun Family. Robert Strawhun to be exact. I've found articles about his Father and Son before. Well, this time I found something a little extra special. Check this out.

St. Louis Globe-Democrat
St. Louis, Missouri
Jun 24, 1958

     I found this newspaper article mentioning Robert & Louisa Strawhun's 50th Anniversary. They are my great-grandparents on my dad's side. They celebrated their wedding anniversary on June 20, 1958. They apparently hosted an open house party on Sunday, June 29, 1958, and this article was published to invite whoever wanted to come. How wonderful!
     After I found this article, a thought crossed my mind. Didn't I have something in my office mentioning this event? Low and behold, I did! My Aunt Patty gave my dad some collectibles and knick-knacks that my Grandma had in her possession. This was one of them.

Golden Wedding Anniversary
1958
Robert and Louisa Strawhun
"The Lord's Prayer"
on the front: June 20, 1908

      They were married for a total of 62 years. Grandpa passed away in 1970 and Grandma passed away in 1971. Here is a photo of them and their family. This photo was taken about 1927 or so.


     According to the newspaper article, the open house was held at their residence at 329 Rose Lane in Kirkwood, Missouri. That house is actually still standing to this day. After my great-grandparents lived there. my Grandma and Papa lived there. Then when my Papa died in 1998, the family fixed it up and sold it. Here is a recent picture of the house.

329 Rose Lane
Kirkwood, Missouri
2019

     I emailed my Aunt Patty about this event since she is the family historian and she was present during this event. Here is what she told me: 

     "They had an Open House for their 50th. We were all little at this time. Sandy and I had matching
summer dresses. Grandma let me and Sandy pick a gift from their gifts. I picked a beautiful candy dish and I still have it. Sandy picked a set of alabaster bookends and she has them in her bedroom. It's impossible to know who gave them the little commemorative gift. I will ask Sandy if she knows if we have a book of who attended and if there is anything about the gifts. You wouldn't believe the kind of "gold" themed gifts they received. I remember one of them being "golden wedding" coffee in a 1lb. can. Their neighbors created a proclamation about this event. In their professional picture that day, you can see the little money trees. They had two tables set up for all the gifts they received. The little thing that you have was probably one of the gifts they received. When we distributed dishes several years ago, there were other "gold" things that sibs picked that were from the distribution. Plates, candy dishes, glasses, and vases. Your Dad has a whole box of the dishes he picked that day."


     This year will be their 112th anniversary. I never got to meet Grandma and Grandpa Strawhun since they passed away before I was born, but I've heard they were really great. Anyway, that is my exciting find for the week!

Grandma and Grandpa Strawhun
50th Anniversary Open House
Sunday, June 29, 1958
Kirkwood, Missouri


What Will I Find Next??

Bonus:
I put together a special collage memorizing Great-Grandma and Great-Grandpa Strawhun. Watch the video now from my new series, Craft Time with Auntie Jen.


No comments:

Post a Comment