Sunday, December 29, 2019

Week 51: Future

     The new year is upon us. It's time to make new goals, new plans, new tasks, etc. What do you have planned? What do you hope to accomplish for the new year? Let me tell you what my goals are.
     First and foremost, I obviously want to continue my research. I want to continue to learn more about my family and my husband's family. More details, more facts, more stories, etc. Going deeper than just the basic birth and death records. I want to bring them to life. I hope to write more in-depth and detailed stories about specific ancestors so you can learn more about them and their lives. Without them, I wouldn't be here today. Genealogy research is more than just researching documents. It's making their story come to life. So that's what I hope to do.
     Second, I want to preserve what I do have in my collection. I hope to digitize photos and documents and organize them on my computer. I have so many that my grandma gave me that I haven't scanned in yet. These are the photos that got me into research and I don't want to lose them. Not only do I want to preserve these, but also preserve the memory of specific items. I need to photograph and catalog family heirlooms in my possession along with what my parents have. Memories fade and people forget why a specific item has been passed down for generations and will eventually end up in the trash or a yard sale. If those items get lost or damaged, I want to at least preserve the memories.
     And lastly, I want to further my education when it comes to research so hopefully one day, I can make a career out of this. I have been doing genealogy research since 2012. Eight years doesn't seem like a long time compared to some, but to me, that is a very long time for me to stick with something and still love it. And even though I have a lot of experience and knowledge under my belt, I still don't know near enough. I still have a lot to learn. I just started working on writing up reports for clients after research has been completed. Thanks to Melissa Finlay from Boundless Genealogy, I have learned a great deal about putting one together in a professional manner. I plan on attending webinars, reading more material such as Evidence Explained (my new Christmas gift), and developing my niche. (I'm not telling what it is yet; still a secret). I will also be volunteering to do research for others to strengthen my research skills. Whatever I can do to make this happen, I will be doing. Sancia (my daughter) still has two and a half years of school left, so I have time to really develop my skills. This new year will be the start of going down that path.
     Of course, I will still be blogging about my journey, making and uploading videos to my YouTube Channel, and continue to be active in my Facebook groups as well as my twitter account. And although I really enjoyed doing the 52 ancestors in 52 weeks challenge, I will not be participating next year. While it helped me to keep writing in my blog and stay active, I have some other ideas about what I want to write about this coming year, so I will be devoting my time to those specific topics. If you are interested in participating in the 52 ancestors challenge, please visit Amy Johnson Crow's website.
     So those are my goals for the future. 
What's yours??

No comments:

Post a Comment