Friday, November 29, 2019

Happy Find Friday

     If you read the About Me section of my blog, you know how I got started in genealogy research. This photo was from grandma's collection that she gave me. The photo is a torn piece of a cardboard photo. The only clue that was on the photo was the name "Lizzie". I knew this photo belonged to a larger photo, but there was nothing in the box that went with it. When I first started going through the photos, I separated them into different categories. This one was in the "Hopefully Identify Later" category along with a few other photos. I was hopeful that one day I might have an answer. Fast forward a few years later, that day finally came.
Front                                       Back

     I was going through my tree on Ancestry checking hints when I came across a hint for Nancy Elizabeth Wheeler nee Damesworth, my great-grandma. She died when my grandpa, Les Wheeler, was just a baby, so he never knew his mother. I didn't even have a picture of her. At least that's what I thought. When I checked the hints for Nancy, I couldn't believe what I was looking at. Check this out.


     As you can see, this is the full photo of the piece that I had in my possession. This photo was attached by a long lost cousin I had recently gotten in contact with. So this photo was of my great-grandma Nancy Elizabeth Damesworth, "Lizzie". Ah... the name makes sense now. She is pictured here with three of her siblings.
     I share this with you to emphasize how important it is to NOT throw away any photos of people in your collection you do not know. You never know when you may find out who that person is. If I would have thrown that photo away, I wouldn't have figured out, this was my great-grandma and that she was called Lizzie.



No comments:

Post a Comment