Thursday, April 18, 2019

Week 16: Out of Place

     What an obscure prompt. Out of Place. I had to think about this one cause at first thought, I couldn't come up with anything or anyone that was out of place. At least not that I could comfortably put under that "definition". Hence why my post is a little delayed this week. Well that and we have had quite a lot of unexpected unfortunates happen. So I took some time to read through some blog posts about how they interpreted the prompt. One post talked about two women who "died out of place". Then it hit me! Where my Grandma Maggie Helfrich is buried, there are two unknown (well unknown to me) people buried with her. Talk about being out of place!
     When I first visited Grandma Helfrich's grave back in 2013, I was informed that two other people were buried there with her. Joseph Helfrich and Pearl Pinnell. Two names I had never heard of, although I assumed Joseph was her husband or brother in law or something. I was still new to genealogy research (started in 2012) and just dismissed the information. I was more excited I found Grandma Helfrich's grave! (I know, all the genealogists reading this are yelling at me, "How could you not have researched!" I was a newbie ok lol! I had not yet been bit by the addiction bug. Now I'm paying for it) Since then, I have researched more and more about the Helfrich family, so hopefully it should be easier to determine who Joseph Helfrich is at least.
     So here I am, about six years later and FINALLY researching this mystery. Who are these unknown people that are buried with Grandma Helfrich? I contacted the cemetery office at Trinity Lutheran Cemetery for information on her lot. I was so thankful, the caretaker was available and happily made a copy of the "Lot Owner" paper. Maggie Helfrich was the owner, for sure. The lot was all paid for. The first to be buried was Joseph Helfrich. According to the card, he was 25 when he died and was buried February 3, 1905. Next to be buried was Pearl Pinnell. She was just 14 days old. Even though she is listed as buried there, she has no grave number. The caretaker told me, she might just be buried at the head or feet of whomever was buried there. She was buried October 12, 1917. Then finally Maggie was buried there when she died on January 31, 1943. She was buried three days later on February 3rd.



     OK let's try to sort this out. We will start with the baby, Pearl. Missouri has their death certificates online for the years of 1910-1968 (and up), so that's a good place to start. Took a little bit of searching, but I did end up finding her death certificate. Her last name was spelled PENNELL, not Pinnell. Her full name was Pearl Thelma Pennell. (A blessing to have a full name with just being an infant; lots of babies go unnamed) She was the infant daughter of Thomas & Pearl Pennell nee Harris. So who are these people, and why was their infant daughter buried in Grandma Helfrich's lot? Well one thing did catch my eye on Pearl's death certificate: The address listed for her and the address listed for the informant. It lists 8229 Michigan Ave. That's Grandma Helfrich's address. From the stories I was told, she ran a boarding house to bring in money. So it's possible, this family was living at her boarding house in 1917, when the wife gave birth prematurely. Maggie must have offered to have their infant daughter buried in her lot, so they would have a place for her. Now whether the family was connected in any way shape or form, I have not yet found. I will keep looking, but for now, this makes sense.



     Now for Joseph Helfrich. As I stated before I thought that might have been her husband. But after doing research on the Helfrich for six years, I have proven this was not the case. Ok so brother? Not by what I have proven as of yet. I created a whole tree of Helfrichs when I was trying to trace Maggie's husband and no Joseph fits that age. So a nephew? Can't prove that either yet. At the moment, I am completely lost. He just does not fit in anywhere. This is going to be one of those mysteries that can't be solved in just a few days. It's going to take visiting the St. Louis Library Headquarters to go through their newspapers to find any death mentions. Then going through city directories. Then process of elimination of all the Joseph Helfrichs I have in my tree.
     What? No! I'm not grinning! I don't know what you are talking about. I'm not excited about the prospect of solving a mystery! I'm not looking forward to the endless hours of looking through records to find just the right one! I'm not..... shut up.... Ok put on some coffee. It's going to be a long night.

To be Continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment