Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Thanksgiving Menu

     The Thanksgiving holiday is almost here. Just a few days until we get to stuff ourselves with Turkey, Dressing, Mashed Potatoes & Gravy, Green Bean Casserole, different styles of vegetables, Cranberries, and then of course pie (Pumpkin, Apple, Pecan, etc.) Although many households have a mixture of different menu items, these are usually some of the basic staples that are included. That got me thinking: Was it always this way? How has the Thanksgiving Menu changed over the years? So I did a quick search to find out what was commonly served for Thanksgiving started back in the early 1900s.

These are two examples of typical menus from 1905. These copies are from the "Fannie Farmer's Cookbook, 'What To Have For Dinner' ". The first thing that cause my eye was the Oyster Stew on the first menu. Then on the second menu, the Clam soup and Halibut Rolls. What stands out to you?

Now onto a 1920s Thanksgiving Menu:
This menu still looks pretty similar to the menu above, maybe with a few differences. Again with the Oysters. Can you tell, I'm not a big fan of them. You can find this menu here.

Now, let's jump ahead to a 1938 Menu:

I see some difference in this one. Got some Cream of French Tomato Soup and Oxtail Soup. My dad loves Oxtail soup. Lobster Thermidor? Fascinating. But the main section is pretty close to what we have for our Thanksgiving. I can't imagine making all this food from scratch just for one meal. 

Ok let's look at a 1942 Thanksgiving Menu:

There is considerably less food listed on this menu. Don't forget this is when the war started, so rations would be put in place. As the war went on, food was rationed even more. Items included Sugar, Butter, Meat, etc. People would have to get creative with their cooking. 

Moving on to after the war, to a 1952 thanksgiving:

These menus are based on your size kitchen. Never seen that before. This is also the first menu where oysters were not served. Coffee was always served. Years ago, it was just as popular as soda is today. Wait, what is molded mincemeat salad? I'm afraid to ask. 

Ok onto 1961. Let's see what they are serving for Thanksgiving:

Not too much is different. Some of the more exotic (at least to me) items are not here anymore. Looking at the different varieties of the sides really makes me feel plain. Most we do these days is open a can of vegetables and heat them up. I haven't seen a mushroom green bean casserole anywhere yet. hmmm....

Ok moving on to 1970s. I was having troubles coming up with some menus for that time, but I found this one from Amtrak:

From here on, I couldn't find any particular menus for the 1980s on. I was born in 1982 and I remember my Thanksgivings including Turkey, Stuffing, Carrots, Peas, Cauliflower with cheese, sliced pears with cherry cream cheese, cranberries, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes & gravy and pies.

As you can see, some menu items have been passed down through the years. Some have disappeared while others have been added. Whatever you decide to serve for Thanksgiving, may you be surrounded by friends and family that bring you much joy and happiness.

Happy Thanksgiving from Auntie Jen!

No comments:

Post a Comment