Thursday, July 19, 2018

Our Wedding Day - July 19, 2002

Not many know the story of the day we got married, cause it was such a spontaneous thing, that we didn't have time to really tell anyone. Not even our parents. Here is a little information about it all happened. It is amazing what details you remember from certain days. Both Mark and I have different details that we have clung on to from that day. Here is what I remember.


On the day of the 18, we were traveling down to Tennessee to visit with Sarah & David for a little vacation. The first vacation we had ever taken without our parents. (Yeah I know and look what we did lol) It was also the first time I was meeting Sarah & David for the first time. So Mark and I are driving from Missouri to Winchester, Tennessee.
Driving through Nashville, Tennessee
Things were still sorta rocky between us because about a week or two before that Mark told me he didn't want to be in a relationship anymore. Truth was he was scared (as was I)about how serious we were getting, talking about marriage and such. About a week later, we talked things out and got back together. I was still a little scared and worried how our relationship was going to play out. I loved him so much, and he was the only one who knew me so deep and loved me for me. So we are driving, and talking about our relationship, and I made a statement to him that really set off this whole thing lol... I told him "I love you so much, I would marry you tomorrow." He asked if I was serious, and I said yes. Well he was quiet after that. I noticed he was texting and trying to make a phone call, with no luck. So we just kept driving.


We finally get to Winchester, which took longer than expected. So Sarah & David met us at the Walmart then we drove back to their house. Sarah had a delicious dinner waiting for us, her famous Candied Ham. That was all that Mark could talk about was Sarah's Candied Ham lol! So after dinner Mark said he needed to talk to
Sarah & David
Sarah. So they went to his room and talked for a long time. I went to my room, not knowing or having any clue what was being said. Finally, hours later, lol, She came out and said Mark wanted to talk to me. So I went in and sat by him. He asked me if I was really serious about what I said in the car. I thought about it, and said yes I was. So he said, what would you say if I asked you to marry me.... tomorrow? I was like what?! uh..... uh..... hmmm..... well..... so I thought about it. Yes I did love him. And I did want to marry him. And we both knew that we were who God has planned for us to be with. So at that point, we knew we didn't want to wait. So I told him, well as long as you don't say "hitched" then yes I will marry you tomorrow. So he proposed (without saying hitched) and I accepted. So we went to bed that night with knots in our stomach thinking about the next day. I realized that the reason Mark was talking so long with Sarah, was Sarah was trying to make sure this was what he really wanted, and show him the reality of what he was wanting to do. She is such a good friend.


Our Wedding Attire
Well I woke up somewhat early, not being able to sleep because of the excitement. And I wanted to call my parents to tell them, cause I knew they needed to know our plans. That's not something you can just blurt out to your parents when you return from vacation. So I called my mom and explained everything to her. She was sad that she couldn't be there and they couldn't plan a wedding for us. I really I asked to speak to dad and she said "Well he is getting his stress test done today..." I was like Oh Crap! I forgot! Well, his stress level is going to be off the charts when he hears this! Oh boy... Mark also called his parents, and they felt the same way my mom did. Both sets wanted us to wait, but we both felt this was what we were supposed to do. So we dressed for the day. Not exactly what you would get married in, but it was the nicest stuff we had lol! Then off we went.

Sarah was so awesome about the whole thing. She was the driver for the day, so we had to go and get the Jetta from David's work at Bridgestone/Firestone and leave him the truck. Then we went in search of Rings. I think we got our rings from KMart, but Mark thinks it was Walmart. LoL! It was one of the Marts. We chose beautiful gold rings with Crosses on them, symbolizing our union through Christ.
Then we drove to the court house to get things started. We talked to the clerk, who informed us that we needed to take 2 weeks worth of counceling before we could get married. We were like What?! We don't have two weeks?! We would be back in Missouri then, and we were really hoping to get married that day. So said well then if you want to skip the counseling, then we could pay like a couple hundred. Dude! We asked why it was so much. She said, "Well resident of Tennessee are required....." We said "No No we are not residents of Tennessee, we live in Missouri." She was like Oh well then it is only like around $80. LoL! Well that makes things easier! LoL! So if you drive in from out of state basically they don't care of your marriage fails, but by golly if you live in that state you either need to take counseling or pay a big fee. Yeah that makes sense lol, but we didn't argue at that point. The one thing I remember, we signing our name in their huge book of records. Listed on our Wedding Certificate is the page number and everything were we signed in that book. Wow!

So after a while of filling out forms and waiting for our turn, we finally were called into the judge who was going to marry us. Sarah was
Walking into the JP's office at 4:10pm
such a sweetheart, taking pictures for us so we would have memories of this day. We walked in at 4:10 pm. He introduced himself and before we knew it, he jumped right into performing the ceremony! Whoa! I barely remember anything. LoL I had to ask Mark last night, did we actually say vows that day? Cause it went so fast I couldn't remember. It was like a big blur! He said yes we did lol! All I remember was hearing him say I know pronounce you Man and Wife, you may kiss the bride, and I kissed Mark. (He was still recovering from a sinus infection, so it was just a quick kiss).
Married at 4:15pm
After that, the rest of the day was just a blur, cause I was just so shocked at what we had actually done. We just got married! My favorite picture was the one of us standing facing each other with our foreheads touching. I asked Mark, "seriously... what did we just do?" I couldn't believe it!

Honestly.... it was the best decision of my life. Though things have been rough, and we have had some battles... I can't imagine my life without Mark. We both have grown in some many ways just from being married to each other. I know I joke with Mark sometimes saying, "after seeing all we have gone through... if I would have known what was in store.... I prolly would have ran when you asked me to marry you"... LoL! But seriously, I would do it all over again. Cause there is no one else I would rather go through these things with.
What the heck did we just do?

Mark is my best friend. We started out as good friends, and we strive to keep that in our marriage. I know our decision caused a lot of strife and hurt when we first got married. But it was the right decision and what God wanted. I continually pray for God's guidance in this marriage and to keep Him center. People have asked us how we have survived so far through everything we have gone through, and all I can say is "through the grace of God, cause it was God's will for us to be married... and we will continue to honor Him in this marriage."


No comments:

Post a Comment